I’m back! The last few weeks have been hectic to say the least and have unfortunately kept me away from my favorite hobby: baking! Between preparing to change jobs in June, bachelorette weekend festivities for my bestie, and SIFF starting (the Seattle International Film Festival, remember my Reese’s Pieces PB Cookies recipe?), I haven’t had much time to whip up treats. The good news is with my job change in June, my work travel will be cut to a minimum and I’ll have LOTS of time to create new recipes and share them all with you.
Seattle has *FINALLY* broken free of the grey winter doldrums and I think I speak for every Seattleite out there when I say ‘it’s about time!’. After a few blissful days above 70 degrees, I decided to mark my return to baking with a light, summery, tasty little treat of lemon cupcakes.
These cupcakes are fluffy and perfect for warm weather; while not overwhelmingly lemon-y, they leave a pleasant lingering flavor of this iconic summer fruit. My recommendation is to top with a buttercream icing – I’ve provided a link to my go-to recipe from Wilton, but you can also pick your favorite store-bought to top these cupcakes with.
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Lemon zest (~ ½ tsp)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners
- In a large mixing bowl, combine white sugar, butter, eggs, lemon extract and lemon zest together until smooth and creamy.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture into the large bowl slowly, alternating with the milk, until all dry and wet ingredients are mixed together and smooth.
- Spoon batter (~ 2 tbsp) into the prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake in the preheated oven 16 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean(no more than 20 min).
- Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely before icing.
Want to make your own buttercream icing? Try Wilton’s Buttercream Frosting Recipe and add ¼ tsp of lemon extract for an added lemon kick!