What has coconut and oats and is chocolate all over? I’ll give you a hint, it’s something delicious! Introducing: Chocolate Crispy Cookies!
If you haven’t been able to tell, I’ve been on a chocolate kick lately and this weekend I whipped up a batch of these chewy crunchy treats for the first time in almost a decade. I’ve mentioned in prior posts that I’m a texture eater; while textures won’t dissuade me from eating anything, it will be that deciding factor between liking and loving something. These cookies … I love.
The cookie itself is just slightly chewy with a great chocolate flavor. Quick oats and coconut are added in to give it a bit of crunch, and all combined these 3 flavors make for a unique and memorable cookie.
This recipe used to call for a magical product that is no longer being made by Nestle called Choco Bake. I’ve found a good substitution for this ingredient that isn’t a headache to make and holds the same flavor I remember savoring as a kid. Separate instructions are provided below for the Choco Bake substitution specifically.
As always, if you try any of my recipes I would love to hear how they turned out! You can comment below or send me a message using the “Contact” option from the menu above.
Yield = ~1.5 – 2 dozen cookies
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ½ c. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 packets “Choco Bake” (see instructions below for substitution recipe)
- ½ c. quick oats, uncooked
- ½ c. shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, sugar and egg; beat well until creamy.
- Add “Choco Bake” chocolate substitution and mix until fully combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing well between each addition.
- At a low mixing speed, add in oats and coconut and mix until evenly distributed.
- On an un-greased cookie sheet, drop tablespoonfuls and bake 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and store in a sealed container once cool.
Choco Bake Substitution Ingredients
- 2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 tbsp. shortening (Crisco Baking Sticks – Butter Flavor work great)
- 6 tbsp baking powder
*Produces the equivalent of 2 Choco Bake packets
Choco Bake Substitution Instructions
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt baking chocolate by heating for 30 seconds, stirring, and repeating until fully melted.
- Add shortening and 3 tbsp baking powder.
- Using a hand mixer, beat together until smooth.
- Add remaining 3 tbsp baking powder and beat well (~3-5 min) until smooth and fluffy.